Friday, September 11, 2009

"Look outside the raincoats coming, say oh"


It hasn’t been long since C and I were singing along with Vampire Weekend in our ridiculous rain ponchos at Way Out West, in Gothenburg. Even though I’m not a fan of my hair getting wet, I enjoyed the rain, the mud –a festival fashion must have- and the smell of fall in the air. Walking down the streets of Sofo on a Tuesday evening, I realized how much I missed feeling chilly and wearing a scarf. C, who is already accustomed to Swedish weather, on the other hand heavily protested both my scarf –well, it was his actually- and rubber boots.


Coming back to Istanbul, I started to complain about the everlasting heat and repeatedly talked about how I missed my leggings, even more about how I longed for having a glass of Malbec instead of yet another pint of cold Efes. And then suddenly there it was. First it was the blanket I cuddled up with while sleeping, then the trench coat I wore walking to the office, and finally it was the 11th International Istanbul Biennial along with various exhibition openings including Micheal Craig-Martin in Galerist. I welcomed the new season in the city with open arms.

Those who know me also know that September marks the beginning of my favorite time of year in Istanbul. While reading the legendary September issue of British Vogue and preparing myself for the new season, I always get excited about the upcoming events. This year it starts with the 11th International Istanbul Biennial, followed by Filmekimi, Phonem by Miller and finally Contemporary Istanbul. Luckily, I have S –bff- to share my seasonal euphoria. Being organization freaks of the same kind, we’ve already planned exhibitions to visit, films to watch, places to be seen and parties to attend. Tickets, invitations and accreditations in hand, we’re more than ready to make a good start to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment