Monday, September 21, 2009

My good, old neighborhood

My whole family being out of town, this time I didn’t get my share of the holiday spirit. No gifts to shop, no carrot cake for holiday breakfast to bake and no relatives to visit; hence, no need to rush. So, I decided to spend some quality time in the city. And when it comes to that, there is nothing better than good, old Cihangir.

Friday, dinner at Demeti with beloved friends. Listening to Ayten Alpman, while chatting with Demet Hanim –the owner- who’s again being nothing but her lovely self. It’s always a pleasure to dine at Demeti, not only because of the view and delicious food, but also because of the atmosphere that accompanies them. This time we’re having two bottles of Efe – one of each color-, grilled octopus, shrimp casserole on special recipe and sea bass en papilotte to name a few.  Despite all the raki I had, I managed to notice the refreshing touch in the décor; a new antique liquor cabinet and matching serving cart. Happy to see semolina return to the menu, we couldn’t pass on desert and called it a night with semolina, chocolate soufflé and coffee.

Saturday, breakfast at Cuppa with the newly weds. My favorite international couple just returned from their beautiful wedding in Sicily and they’ve been so kind to meet me for breakfast. Their wedding pictures and videos totally outshined Cuppa’s breakfast, even though everything was yummy to say the least.

Sunday, happy hour at Baykuş. After a two and a half hours visit to Antrepo 3 –accompanied by Holga this time- and walk through Galata and Istiklal Street, I could finally invest some time in my latest love affair; the one with Haruki Murakami and his latest novel, Norwegian Wood.

Walking back home, I’ve been thinking about S’ theory of Galata becoming the new Cihangir. Well, even though I tend to agree with her most of the time, I might have to skip on this one. As I said before, there’s nothing like the good, old Cihangir with its furry, little inhabiters. 



1 comment:

  1. I may have to agree with "S" on her Galata comment. It may not be the same stores, shops etc. But real estate prices are already up there. To be frank, I like Galata more myself.. The place has a certain aura that Cihangir lacks. Cihangir has narrow and ugly streets, lots of construction, and is a little over priced for my taste. Although, I like Demeti, and I am impressed with your attention to detail even after two different colors of Efe.

    ReplyDelete