Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Pipedreams

Rushing out of the office sharp at 17:00 on Tuesday, I headed to Antrepo 3. After collecting my 11B Unlimited and Biennial Guide, I was ready to enter the world assembled by What, How and For Whom/WHW. As I only had less than 2 hours –the venue closes at 19:00- , I knew that it was going to be a prescreening this time. However, I didn’t know that I was going to be introduced to the works of an extraordinary social documentary photographer.

Being a graduate of International Relations and International Political Economy, I cannot tell you how many times I’ve heard and read about the Baku–Tiblisi-Ceyhan Oil Pipeline. Being the second longest pipeline in the world after Druzhba, BTC created a huge turmoil not only in the region but also in the global arena. Yet, the discussions I was involved never went beyond the political and socioeconomic effects of the project. Rena Effendi on the other hand, followed 1,700 km oil pipeline through Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey for 6 years and collected stories. Stories of people who have been neglected, who have been experiencing the invisible effects of the project on their daily routines, hopes and dreams...

“What I witnessed in this journey is that initial promises and expectations of trickle-down wealth still remain unfulfilled. This is simply the game of power…”
Rena Effendi - http://corporate.gettyimages.com/

 “Pipedreams: A Chronicle of Lives along the Oil Pipeline” is a compilation of Rena’s work of six years. As opposed to the media coverage of the BTC Oil Pipeline, the photographs reflect the cold, naked and disturbing truth in the most aesthetic way possible. In case you’re interested in energy politics, do your self a favour and pay a visit to Antrepo 3. I guarantee you that this Baku born photographer will provide you with a different point of view.



 
All photographs are from http://corporate.gettyimages.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment