Thursday, October 1, 2009

Rush of Nostalgia

It all started on Saturday when I was walking through the artures of Yüksel Arslan at santralistanbul. Tracing what has influenced his way of thinking and inspired his work, Arslan’s ever-most comprehensive retrospective exhibition made me recall people and places that have influenced me for better and worse.

Looking at his work, especially Arture Rature (1964) and Arture 175 – Circulation of the Capital (1974) which by the way should be an essential to every macroeconomics class being taught -, I couldn’t help but think of our high school days. Luckily, I had the perfect company to share my feelings of nostalgia over several bottles of wine at Tamirane.





Though, I was a fool to think that I could leave those feelings behind on the table with the check and the tip. I was grocery shopping on Monday when I saw them on the shelves; first tangerines of the season. Call me a weirdo, but they always make me remember my childhood, the time we spent in Ankara and my grandma. So, peeling one and being completely sentimental, I made myself comfortable on the sofa later that night and turned on the TV. There it was; The English Patient, not only one of my all time favorite movies, but also the movie C took me on our first date. 



Watching it for the zillionth time, I couldn’t help but think that in love there are no boundaries indeed. So, I guess it’s about time that I take that plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment